Founded in 1993, Florida-based Medi-Share is a HealthShare administered by Christian Care Ministries. Medi-Share is one of the largest HealthShares in the United States, with over 260,000 members, and has shared nearly $6,000,000,000 of members’ medical expenses over the last thirty years, according to their 2021 annual report. The organization has a Christian-focus, and religious requirements for membership.
Health partners and health incentive
Prospective members who don’t meet Medi-Share’s health standards may be asked to be “health partners.” Health partners have access to online health content and telephone coaching, but are required to pay a monthly fee for the service in addition to their monthly share.
Conversely, members who meet certain annual health standards may apply for a health incentive (note: health partners are not eligible). For those whose applications are accepted, these health incentives come in the form of a decreased monthly share amount.
Rather than aging out at 65, Medi-Share members can opt to join Medi-Share 65+, allowing them to pair their Medicare benefits with a discounted membership, both in terms of Annual Household Portion (AHP) and monthly share amount.
Medi-Share members may vote on proposed changes to their guidelines. Annually or bi-annually, changes are submitted to the community and put to a vote. If 67% of members approve of a proposed change to the guidelines, then that change will be implemented.
There is also a Medi-Share Steering Committee, made up of Medi-Share members, outside the direct control of CCM, which may make minor modifications to the guidelines for the community’s benefit, according to their guidelines.
Here is some of the top information we believe potential members might want to know about this HealthShare.
- Members must open a new account with a CCM-designated financial institution to facilitate sharing
- Strict religious membership requirements
- Members must profess to Medi-Share’s statement of faith
- Prospective members need to have abstained from the use of tobacco or illegal drugs for at least the 12 months prior to joining
- Prospective members and dependents provide medical and lifestyle information during application process via online questionnair
- Members vote on additions, changes to guidelines
- Adoption expenses are shareable
- Membership options for seniors (65+)
- Expenses related to funeral expenses are shareable up to $5,000
- No preventive care
- Penalty for using providers, facilities outside of provider network
- Are devout Christians
- Are seniors interested in combining HealthShare membership with Medicare