Samaritan Ministries is a well-established HealthShare with over twenty-five years serving its members. This HealthShare is deeply rooted in the New Testament Church, but most Christian denominations are welcome. What makes this HealthShare unique is the member-to-member connection fostered by the sharing format. Members receive sharing assignments that allow them to know exactly who their share will go to, how much of their share will be assigned to that member’s need, and what need that fellow member is experiencing.
In addition to knowing who, how, and what, members can be confident that their dollars are spent in line with their moral convictions. Every member is required not only to attest to a handful of beliefs and commit to certain conduct guidelines, but also to complete an Accountability Verification where someone familiar with or responsible for their actions affirms that they meet the membership requirements. This is reconfirmed annually. In this and other ways, Samaritan Ministries bonds its members to one another.
Members are encouraged to care for each other both financially and spiritually through prayer and direct encouragement in the form of letters. Sharing information on the specifics of your need is not required, but it is encouraged so other members may pray in your behalf. With this in mind, it is clear that trust is a key component of participation in this ministry. Members must trust other members with their private information in order to receive the kind of specific support encouraged by the ministry. Obviously, if misuse or abuse of this trust is discovered, it is not tolerated by Samaritan Ministries.
Besides knowing which needs they are tending to, members are made aware of which portion of their shares—whether monthly or annually—is apportioned to administrative costs. Samaritan Ministries is currently committed to retaining no more than 20% of member shares for administrative purposes. This transparency of fund allocation is closely tied to the high level of member involvement expected from this member-led community. Member voting is expected on key issues like electing members of the board and determining share amounts. As a member with Samaritan Ministries, your opinion is welcome, and your support is encouraged.
Here is some of the top information we believe potential members might want to know about this HealthShare.
- Certain denominations not qualified: Church of Scientology, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Unitarianism
- Legal action against fellow members not allowed
- Marijuana and tobacco use not allowed
- Attest to three major religious beliefs
- Live strictly by Bible principles
- Attend church three out of four weeks a month
- Helpful website and program guide
- Members of the board are Samaritan members
- Hospice care shareable
- Medical tourism encouraged
- Special prayer requests for additional assistance
- Children with disabilities may remain on parents’ membership after age 26
- Discounts for home births
- Save-to-Share program
- Max sharing amounts for Classic and Basic per need
- No telemedicine
- Long turn-around time for need sharing (Two-three months)
- Non-physical therapy never shareable
- One-to-five year wait for pre-existing conditions
- No mental wellness resources
- Type 1 Diabetes not shareable
- Are keenly interested in those they will share with
- Want to be involved in organizational decision making