This Utah-based HealthShare was created in response to the often-exclusive nature of HealthShares. Although Zion HealthShare was established in 2019, they already have 40,000 members! That’s more than some other long-standing HealthShares. As a result, if you visit any HealthShare review sites in your search for a HealthShare, you will likely see Zion HealthShare ranks near or at the top.
How does a Zion HealthShare membership work?
Zion HealthShare extends an open invitation to anyone who wants to belong to a community of people who prioritize their health. Zion HealthShare does not require members to declare any particular religious beliefs. Though not bound by faith, Zion HealthShare remains a group of like-minded members who desire to balance personal and community responsibility. Members agree that they can best assist one another with medical expenses by being ethical and conscious about their own well-being.
Additionally, a few things make Zion HealthShare unique compared to other HealthShares. The most notable is how straightforward the program structure is. Zion determines your monthly contribution by your age and your choice of one of three Initial Unsharable Amount (IUA) options. Although the IUA is applied per need, members never pay more than three IUAs in a rolling twelve-month period. All expenses related to a specific need remain 100 percent shareable until that member is symptom-free for twelve months. If you experience more than three needs in a twelve-month period, Zion shares any eligible bills over $500.
Zion HealthShare membership types
Zion HealthShare has two primary membership types: Direct and Essential. Direct is Zion HealthShare’s signature membership, open to anyone who wants access to everything Zion HealthShare has to offer. Direct membership monthly contributions are based simply on age and household size. Essential is designed for larger groups, like an organization providing benefits for its employees, and allows for custom-built memberships. Zion HealthShare also offers the Essential membership to individuals who subscribe to a Direct Primary Care (DPC) provider. Individuals who wish to combine the everyday benefits of DPC membership with the big-picture benefits of HealthShare membership can benefit greatly from the customizable nature of the Zion HealthShare Essential membership. Either membership choice joins members in a top-tier HealthShare community.
What about common health concerns?
Zion HealthShare is mainly designed to assist members with unexpected or unpredictable medical bills; however, their program is also built to address common health concerns and pre-existing medical conditions. Direct memberships include an annual wellness visit that is immediately shareable, and Essential members may include this as one of their custom features. Additionally, for all memberships, sharing for pre-existing conditions is available under a phase-in program.
For pre-existing conditions, members will wait for one year of membership before sharing related medical costs. After that, members may share limited amounts. For instance, in the second year of membership you may share up to $25,000, the third year $50,000, and the fourth year $125,000. Many HealthShares simply will not share costs associated with pre-existing conditions, and some seriously limit the kinds of pre-existing conditions that may be shared. This approach by ZionHealthShare helps members with many conditions after just one year of continuous membership. Indeed, the way Zion HealthShare handles preventive and pre-existing health concerns may be a critical deciding factor for prospective members.
Here is some of the top information we believe potential members might want to know about this HealthShare.
- Members of all faiths accepted
- Quick need turn-around time
- Tobacco users accepted, with an additional fee
- Initial waiting period for some sharing
- Agree to the Zion HealthShare Principles of Membership
- Be under age 65
- Telemedicine (Teladoc)
- Mental health resources (Lifeworks)
- Annual wellness visit available immediately
- No annual or lifetime sharing limits
- At least 90% of contributions used for member sharing
- Excellent member reviews
- Maternity sharing for single or unwed mothers
- Maternity need shared like any other need
- Grandchildren may participate with grandparents
- Medical Advocacy Service
- Additional Giving Program
- Alternative health treatments shareable
- Generic prescriptions shareable (Rx Share)
- Prescription discounts (OptumRx)
- IUA discounts may be available for pre-arranged surgeries
- Access to Healthcare Bluebook
- End-of-life assistance for members and dependents
- Colonoscopy, mammogram shareable after 6 months of membership
- Mammogram shareable at age 40
- Youth immunizations (up to age 16) shareable after 6 months of membership
- Adoption expenses not shareable
- Fertility not shareable
- Insulin-dependent diabetes medications not shareable
- ADHD, ADHS, SPD not shareable
- Want a simplified HealthShare experience
- Need assistance managing pre-existing conditions
- Do not want to be involved with a strictly religious HealthShare
- Believe in the concept of helping one another through healthcare cost-sharing
- Participate recreationally (not professionally) in sporting activities that may result in injury
Watch the Zion HealthShare Introduction video
Note: As of March 1, 2022, Zion Health is no longer accepting new members in WA.