Created as a response to the religiously exclusive nature of many health cost sharing ministries, Zion HealthShare, based out of St. George, Utah, is a top-rated HealthShare with no religious requirements for membership. Since starting in 2019, Zion HealthShare has accrued over 45,000 members, with 13,000 members from 2021-2022 alone.
How does a Zion HealthShare membership work?
Zion HealthShare does not require members to declare any particular religious beliefs. Members must attest to their principles of membership and abide by the rules laid out in their guidelines in order to join the medical cost sharing community.
Zion HealthShare benefits from a straightforward program structure. Members’ monthly contribution amount is determined by their age group, initial unshareable amount (IUA), and how many members of the household are taking part in the membership. Although the IUA is applied per need, members never pay more than three IUAs in a rolling twelve-month period. All expenses related to a specific need remain fully shareable until that member has been symptom-free for at least twelve months. If you experience more than three needs in a twelve-month period, Zion shares any eligible bills over $500.
Zion HealthShare membership types
Zion HealthShare has two primary membership types: Direct and Essential. Direct is available to those who join through their website, rather than through their employer.
Essential memberships are designed for larger groups, like an organization providing benefits for its employees, and have lower monthly contribution amounts than Direct memberships. As a trade-off, some additional features included with Direct membership are instead available as optional add-ons for Essential memberships. Essential memberships are also available to those who subscribe to a Direct Primary Care (DPC) provider, so they can combine the benefits of DPC membership with the benefits of HealthShare membership.
What about common health concerns?
Zion HealthShare is mainly designed to assist members with unexpected or unpredictable medical bills; however, their program is also built to address common health concerns and pre-existing medical conditions. Direct memberships include an annual wellness visit that is immediately shareable, and Essential members may purchase preventive sharing as an add-on to their membership.
For pre-existing conditions, members must wait one year before sharing any related medical costs. After that, the eligible amount for pre-existing conditions increases each subsequent year. For instance, in the second year of membership members may share up to $25,000 in the second year, $50,000 during the third, and $125,000 from the fourth year on.
Here is some of the top information we believe potential members might want to know about this HealthShare.
- Members of all faiths accepted
- Quick need turn-around time
- Tobacco users accepted with additional fee
- Initial waiting period for some sharing
- Agree to the Zion HealthShare Principles of Membership
- Be under age 65
- Telemedicine (Teladoc Health™)
- Mental health resources (LifeWorks)
- Annual wellness visit available immediately for Direct memberships
- No annual or lifetime sharing limits
- At least 90% of contributions used for member sharing
- Maternity sharing for single or unwed mothers
- Maternity need shared like any other need
- Additional Giving Program
- Some alternative health treatments shareable
- Prescription discount program
- IUA discounts may be available for pre-arranged surgeries
- Access to Healthcare Bluebook
- End-of-life assistance for members and dependents
- Colonoscopy, mammogram shareable after 6 months of membership
- Mammogram shareable yearly, starting at age 40
- Youth immunizations (up to age 16) shareable after 6 months of membership
- Adoption expenses not shareable
- Young company
- Want a simplified HealthShare experience
- Want a HealthShare with secular membership requirements
Watch the Zion HealthShare introduction video
Page Updated 08.15.23