Inspired by his community’s donations and support for his wife following her being diagnosed with cancer, co-founder Chris Faddis started Solidarity HealthShare in 2016. Solidarity HealthShare is a Catholic-based HealthShare headquartered in Tempe, Arizona, though members of all faiths are free to join so long as they agree to their membership requirements and statement of beliefs.
Virtual share, IUAs, and older members
Solidarity HealthShare members’ monthly contributions are added to their online Virtual Share accounts. Monthly contributions are based on a member’s choice of IUA, age, and how many members are on the same membership. Funds are shared among members of their medical cost sharing community through these accounts.
There are four per need IUA options for members to choose from, ranging from their lowest option of $3,000 to their highest option of $12,000.
Notably, there is no age limit for membership. While many members of other HealthShares age out of membership at 65, or have to sign up for a new membership for seniors, Solidarity HealthShare members with Medicare may stay with the medical cost sharing community and even receive discounts on their monthly contributions.
Mental health, alternative treatments, fertility
While many HealthShares limit or prohibit sharing medical expenses related to mental health and wellness, Solidarity HealthShare shares medical expenses related to mental health conditions and treatments just as they would most other medical needs.
They also share expenses related to some alternative treatments that may appeal to members interested in novel or non-traditional healthcare options.
And, those seeking treatments for fertility (outside impotence, artificial insemination, in vitro fertilization, or embryo adoption) may find their policies regarding related treatments appealing.
Some examples of their relevant shareable treatments are the following:
- Eating Disorders
- Naturopathic care
- NaPro Technology
- Fertility (including restoration or healing of the reproductive system)
Here is some of the top information we believe potential members might want to know about this HealthShare.
- Maximum shareable amount of $1,000,000 per need, per year
- Allow sharing decisions to be guided by the organization’s Catholic beliefs
- Agree to the Solidarity statement of beliefs
- Willing to share costs of some new/experimental treatments
- Allows sharing for annual wellness visits, telehealth, counseling, and physical therapy
- No age limit; discounts on monthly contributions for members with Medicare
- High IUAs ($3,000–$12,000)
- Lackluster information about submitting needs in sharing guidelines
- Do not share expenses related to Durable Medical Equipment
- No discusses for dental, hearing, or vision costs
- Want to support a ministry that holds Catholic values
- Are interested in sharing mental health, wellness medical expenses
Learn more about Solidarity’s origins in this video